Discover the history of Ferme de Leuze
Ferme de Leuze is also known as 'Ferme des Templars' The Order of the Templars was founded in 1118, after the first crusades, by Hegues de Payen. The order consisted of monk soldiers whose main task was to protect pilgrims on their journey to Jerusalem. By performing this noble task, the order received many legacies and donations and became influential and very rich as a result. So influential that Pope Clementinus the 5th decided to put an end to the order. On Friday 13 October 1307, he ordered a large number of Templars to be burned at the stake. Among them Jacques de Molay, the last grand master of the Templars.
In the province of Namur, the Templars had a small house with affections in Acoz. Another house was in the parish of Saint-Denis at La Bruyère, near Namur. The house had a chapel, grounds and a mill. In the 17th century, the buildings were badly damaged. To the south of Villers-le-Temple, on the border with the province of Liège, the Templars were lords of the villages of Somme and Leuze, where they exercised influence at all levels of justice and jurisdiction over the population. The house came into the hands of the order in 1255 and featured a beautiful chapel, a water mill and a lot of surrounding land. In Leuze, the 'Ferme des Templiers' still stands today From the temple farm, according to legend, a subterranean corridor runs to the Somal castle. In Beuet, between Namur and Gembloux, there was the Gérancourt temple farm.
In Hagrimont, near Marche-en-Famenne, the Templars were given a house in 1191, near the river Wame, along with surrounding pieces of land and forest. In 1248, the domain was extended with a fief in Chenehem or Cheneu, a location now known as 'Moustaviet' , along the road to Nassogne. The commandery has almost completely disappeared, except for a few pieces of wall in a farmstead in Rochefot, along the route de Marche
Mention in Jan Hosten's book : The Templars
"The Ferme des Templiers"