Ferme de Leuze is also known as ‘ Ferme des Templars ‘ the Order of the Templars was established in 1118, after the first crusades, founded by Hegues de Payen. The order consisted of monk soldiers with the main task of protecting the pilgrims on their journey to Jerusalem. By performing this noble task, the order received many legacies and donations and became an influential and very rich. So influential that Pope Clementinus the 5th decided to put an end to the order. On Friday the 13th of October 1307, he left a large number of Templars on the stake. Among them Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Templars.
In the province of Namur, the Templars in Acoz had a small house with adherences. Another house was located in the parish of Saint-Denis in La Bruyère, near Namur. The house had a chapel, grounds and a mill. In The seventeenth century the building was badly damaged. South of Villers-le-Temple, on the border with the province of Liège, the Templars were lord of the villages of Somme and Leuze, where they exerted influence on all levels of justice and courts over the population. The house came into the hands of the order in 1255 and was equipped with a beautiful chapel, a watermill and many surrounding farmlands. Today the ‘ Ferme des Templiers ‘ from the temple farm, according to a legend, is still a subterranean corridor to the castle of Somal. In Beuet, between Namur and Gembloux stood the temple farm of Gérancourt.
In Hagrimont, near Marche-en-Famenne, the Templars were given a house in 1191, near the river Wame, along with surrounding areas of land and forest. In 1248, the domain was extended with a loan in Chenehem or Cheneu, a location now known as ‘ Moustaviet ‘, along the road to Nassogne. The commandery is almost completely gone, on a few pieces of wall after in a farm in Rochefot, along the Route de Marche
Entry in the Book of Jan host: the Templars
“The Ferme des Templiers”